How To Gain Style Confidence

I think the most common struggle when it comes to fashion is the fear of being judged. I used to be afraid to wear anything too bold or out there, mainly at school, but as I've gone through high school, I realized that there's really no reason to be insecure. If anything, I've found my passion by trying new styles and wearing whatever I want. My fashion inspiration was Billie Eilish. I started buying her merch and baggy clothes. I got attention for it, some good, some bad. Some people would give me weird looks or talk about me, but I was getting noticed, and I was kind of digging the attention. I was into the "Billie" look, and that was considered my signature style for a pretty long time. Until recently, I decided that I don't need or want to have a specific style. I wear what I want when I feel like it. This can be intimidating, but the biggest thing that I've learned throughout my experience with fashion is that: 


A. Nobody actually cares that much about what you're wearing unless they're jealous or inspired. 

B. It doesn't matter. Your life is so short you may as well wear what you want. You're probably going to look back at your life one day and think to yourself, "Damn, I wish I didn't care about what people thought about me when I was younger." As Billie Eilish once said, "everyone is gonna die, and no one is gonna remember you, so fuck it."


Here are some things that have helped me gain style confidence and hopefully can help you too.



Live Your Life


Something that I still have to remind myself to this day is that people are so focused on themselves that they don't have the time to focus on you, let alone what you're wearing. You have to stop thinking about what others think about you because that will truly get you nowhere in life. Plus, everyone has an opinion and unfortunately, you can't please everyone. I think the most important thing is to change your mindset and my personal favourite is the 'fuck it' mentality. Afraid of what people are going to say about you? Fuck it. Not sure if you want to wear that purple zebra jumpsuit out in public? Fuck it. Scared your "friends" are going to call you embarrassing and ditch you? Fuck it. The world is your runway, and people are lucky to be sitting front row, so own it. 


Try Different Styles


Fashion doesn't have rules. You aren't required to have a specific style and only wear clothes that fit that category. However, trying out different looks can help you find a style that you feel confident in. I like using Pinterest for inspiration, and it's super handy if you ever find yourself in a fashion mind block. Keep in mind that fashion isn't just clothing either. Try accessorizing with different jewelry, shoes, bags, or glasses. Accessories are more important than you think. A pair of bold sunglasses and some cool rings can make a HUGE difference to an outfit. Don't shy away from accessories!!!


Social Media


Social media can be the worst, don't get me wrong, but it can also be really great. Recently, I was thinking about my Instagram page and how it didn't truly reflect my style or just myself in general. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, but then I realized it was because I was posting pictures of what I thought my followers would like to see instead of what I wanted to post. I was like, um it's my Instagram page, if people don't like my content, they're allowed to unfollow me. Now, I try to post to attract and inspire people with the same interests/style. Basically, my point is, social media can help people appreciate your vision and empower you to keep doing what you're doing. Post whatever you want and don't let anybody make you feel bad about expressing yourself. 


Get Inspired

It's difficult to find your aesthetic when you're just getting into fashion and have nothing or no one to refer to for inspiration. Explore!! Maybe there's a local clothing or art store that you find super interesting or an influencer that has a specific style or aesthetic that you like. Take inspiration from these places, things, and people and try to translate it into your style. Two of my favourite fashion inspirations right now are @emmachamberlain and @hannahhtaylor. (check them out on Instagram๐Ÿ˜) I take inspiration from so many things, from my favourite food to different artwork- the possibilities are countless. Take a walk downtown and check out some murals or look through Pinterest and find some people that you share the same interests. Either way, find what inspires you, then reflect that aesthetic into your outfits. Over time, you'll find what you like and don't like- be patient, this stuff takes time. 



Every day is a fashion show 

♡♡♡





Comments

  1. Awe!! This is so inspiring! Love what your doing, and love your style ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment